A blog of grumpiness, stilts and skin.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Reds under the bed

Australia's two largest states by area, Queensland and Western Australia, are fun, sunny kingdoms.

Parochial too.

So much so that as a former banana-bender I've had barneys with native sandgropers over which state is the most partisan. "WA is the most parochial!" claims the sandgroper. "Au contraire, es Queenland!" says I.

That notwithstanding, when visiting a Westralian hamlet for the first time, I always find the following endears me to the locals:

First, I stretch my arms out in an arc parallel to the horizon, as if to embrace the sandy landscape.

Then, I thrust my chin skyward and take a swig of dry western air.

Next - and this is the jooshy bit - I proclaim to anyone within earshot: "One day soon, all this will be known as Western ... Queensland."

4 Comments:

Blogger hazelblackberry said...

The problem is, neither Western Australians or Queenslanders are known for their intellect (despite that recent Nobel Prize). They both think parochial is some kind of compliment.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

 
Blogger Grump Les Tiltskin said...

'They' do, do 'they'?

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

 
Blogger Quirkie said...

I'm hoping you two actually talk in real-time.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

 
Blogger Grump Les Tiltskin said...

Life's too short for talk.

We sing!

Thursday, December 15, 2005

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home