A blog of grumpiness, stilts and skin.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Grumpy gardening

Now, look. I'm not big on reading "how to" booklets, or on listening for that matter.

Consequently, things take a little while to sink in, and because I'm forgetful they rarely stay in all that long.

However, I've struck upon a couple of things that seem to work in the average Perth garden:

1. Water the lawn with the laundry water via a watering can. Sounds gross, I know, but over time it really gives the lawn a lift, saving money on, and the Swan River from, fertiliser. I've been trialling this method for a couple of years now and the naysayers who said, "nay, it'll lead to your lawn getting all matty and tangled," have so far been disproved. The laundry water method also has the advantage of saving our ever-diminishing chlorinated water stocks for the all-important task of distillation into beer. On top of that, I've heard the detergent acts as a wetting agent. And for damn good measure, the water seems to kill the little black beetles that used to eat my lawn - though maybe that's just because my laundry is especially manky.

2. If your fish pond is atrophying like mine has been all through summer, winter and spring, chuck in a couple of surface-floating lillies. They'll soon diminish the photosynthetic light available to that pesky algae, as well as oxygenating the water, which everyone knows is a good starting point for distilling your own home brew.

More gardening tips if I learn something new. But for now, you know the score. It's your blooming lot.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rather than messing around with a water can, why don't you just attach a pipe to the outlet of you machine, and then you move it around to vary the position at each wash, and save yourself valuable cricket time.
ps ask haze to give me a ring

Thursday, October 12, 2006

 
Blogger Grump Les Tiltskin said...

I will.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home